Do you have any idea just how many fruit & vegetable-related movie associations there are? I didn’t until I started making this list! So, I lied – this is a Top 20! There were just too many to narrow it down to ten but my anal retentiveness insisted that I call this a Top Ten to match all my other posts. 😉
I’ll just do a simple list for 20-11 then elaborate a bit more on my Top Ten. I’d really love for people to add any they can think of which I’ve missed. Let me know in the Comments & I’ll add yours to the end of this post & link to your blog.
Now, counting down from 20 to 1, here are My Top Twenty Movie-Related Fruits & Vegetables:
- 20. TIE: Jack Lemmon, Eve Plumb, Mr Bean & Barry Pepper. Yes – Barry Pepper! Two for one! (FYI – he’s an actor in The Green Mile). Also, I think Chuck’s cousin, Marvin Berry in Back To The Future, deserves a mention. 😉
- 19. Strawberry Fields in Across The Universe
- 18. The strawberries (and various other food items) in Nine 1/2 Weeks
- 17. The banana in the tailpipe in Beverly Hills Cop
- 16. All those tomatoes in Attack Of & Return Of The Killer Tomatoes
- 15. The “blow job carrots” in Fast Times At Ridgemont High
- 14. Pumpkinhead
- 13. Children Of The Corn
- 12. The cute strawberry Barry in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 (plus loads of other food items)
- 11. The apple pie in American Pie
- 10. F*%k The Pain Away by Peaches
As Heard In: Lost In Translation, Drive Angry, My Little Eye
Oh, Peaches – I do admit that I love some of your filthy songs. The most well-known, of course, seems to be Fuck The Pain Away as it’s been used in several movies, including the excellent Lost In Translation.
Who doesn’t like this song? Who doesn’t like this scene?! You know, I actually haven’t watched Beetlejuice in years – I really should watch it again! Was never really my favorite Burton film (it’s no Edward Scissorhands…).
Had to be in the top ten – it’s iconic! Not my favorite princess movie but I do love those Seven “Dwarfs”.
Not my number one favorite Kubrick film (that’s easily The Shining) but I do rank it highly despite being uncomfortable with some of the material. Plus, there’s not a damn orange in sight!
Yeah, I’ve maybe put this a little too high on the list but I LOVE those crazy minions and their banana obsession. 🙂
5. Cherry Bomb by The Runaways
As Heard In: The Runaways, Dazed & Confused, Guardians Of The Galaxy
I’ve put this fairly high on the list even though I’m not crazy about the song. However, it’s awesome that it was included in two of my all-time favorite movie soundtracks (Dazed & Confused and Guardians Of The Galaxy). Also, it gives me the opportunity to recommend the movie The Runaways, which is about the band (obviously). It starred (don’t run away, ha) Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett & Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie. Seriously – Stewart & Fanning?! Ugh! But… you know what?! I loved it! They were, well, very good. Especially Stewart. Well worth a watch!
4. Tangerine Dream
As Heard In: Legend, Risky Business, Miracle Mile, etc
I do love a good Tangerine Dream score! It was the best thing about the strange Miracle Mile (a movie loads of fellow bloggers seem to like!) and I’ve always loved the piece Love On A Real Train from Risky Business.
The Big Apple (as in, New York City) – Is there any other city in the world that has SO many films set in it?! I’ve chosen When Harry Met Sally as it’s a favorite. Yes, I’ll be doing a Top Ten NYC movies someday (probably after I finally get around to reviewing Escape From New York!).
Ha! I’ve put this high on the list as it’s one of the first things I thought of when I came up with the idea for this list. Again, I’ve not actually watched this movie in years, although I loved it. I need to again. Who wants to watch it with me??
Yes, I know this may seem an odd choice for number one. But, if anyone here knows me at all, you’ll know I have a thing for anthropomorphism – especially adorable anthropomorphic food! I love these Peas in the Pod!!!! So. Damn. Cute. I may have bought the cuddly toy of this at The Disney Store after watching this movie. I’ve (reluctantly) given it to my daughter now. I clearly love her. 😉
Didn’t Make The List:
(before you add your own ideas in the Comments, here are some more that I did already think of)
- The Mandarin & Pepper Potts in Iron Man 3
- James & The Giant Peach
- The Limey
- Olaf’s carrot nose in Frozen
- Cherry Falls
- Professor Plum & Colonel Mustard in Clue
- Violet Beauregarde turning into a blueberry in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
- Withnail And I – The Camberwell Carrot (the biggest joint ever)
- The garlic used in The Lost Boys
- Popeye’s spinach & also Olive Oyl in Popeye
- Cornholio (did he make an appearance in Beavis & Butthead Do America? I think so…)
- Carmen Miranda & Josephine Baker
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers in various films such as Point Break & The Chase
- Peanuts! Okay – I’m adding this at the end as most won’t agree to it being a veg (or fruit?!) but I’m really excited about this movie coming out!!
Movies I’ve Not Seen:
PHEW! I’ve spent way too much time thinking about fruit & veg this past week in preparation for this post. Now let me know if you have any more to add & I’ll link to you HERE –
Ideas From Other Bloggers:
Cindy Bruchman: Ann-Margret in the white living room swimming in a room of canned beans coming out of her television in The Who’s Tommy
Eric from The IPC: Sherilynn Fenn using her tongue to tie a knot in a cherry stem in Twin Peaks (the TV show but I’ll accept it) 😉
sgliput of Rhyme Or Reason: Fried Green Tomatoes, “ogres are like onions” from Shrek, the pumpkin in Cinderella, the berry interrogation in Sound of Music, the giant cherry in Wreck-It Ralph, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, and “Can you say mango?” from Paulie.
MovieRob: The blueberry pie in Stand By Me, Herbie Goes Bananas, The 9 1/2 weeks parody in Hot Shots, The Oranges in ALL 3 Godfather movies, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Pineapple Express, Poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark
And since I gave this scene a thorough re-watching for, ah, research…. I might as well share:
And here’s some Tangerine Dream: