Today’s video is Iron Maiden’s The Number Of The Beast.
Singer & pilot & all-around awesome Bruce Dickinson turns 58 on Sunday so I figured now was a good time to post a video from my FAVORITE BAND. Happy Birthday, Bruce! 🙂
I wasn’t sure which video to choose as Iron Maiden aren’t exactly a “video” band so most of their videos are concert footage. Yes, I already did a list of My Top Ten Iron Maiden Songs in the early days of my blog & most of my favorites just have concert videos. Run To The Hills sort of has a proper video but that’s the only song that everybody knows so I didn’t feel like posting that.
I’ve gone with The Number Of The Beast since it’s a favorite song of mine. The video is a performance with some clips of classic movie monsters such as Nosferatu & Godzilla. Plus, we see a lot of Bruce! And, of course, there’s a big Eddie. I love Eddie! I think that Iron Maiden’s great imagery is what made me listen to them in the first place. And I’m so glad that I did as they’ve remained my favorite band for over 20 years now. Oh man, I feel so old…
Oh, sweet Satan – you’ve been the inspiration for so many heavy metal bands!
Today I have not just one, not 666, but TWO Top Ten lists! One for each Devil horn!
When I started making this list, I only had Satan in mind. Then I thought “I think songs with the word Hell in the title can be included as well”. Turns out there are way too many to narrow it down to ten that way so I have one list of songs with “Devil” in the title and one for those with “Hell” in the title. (Although my number one doesn’t actually have “Devil” in the title but I do like to play by my own rules). 😉
As always, these are ranked according to how much I like the song.
Let’s start with My Top Ten Devil Songs:
10. Billy Talent – Devil In A Midnight Mass 9. Devil’s Spoke by Laura Marling 8. Devils Haircut by Beck 7. Devil Inside by INXS 6. Christmas With The Devil by Spinal Tap
5. The Devil Went Down To Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band
4. Runnin’ With The Devil by Van Halen
3. Shout At The Devil by Mötley Crüe
2. Sympathy For The Devil by The Rolling Stones
1. The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden
Honorable Devil Mentions:
– Devil’s Child by Judas Priest
– (You’re The) Devil In Disguise by Elvis Presley
– Devil Gate Drive by Suzi Quatro
– Devil With A Blue Dress On by Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels
– Devil Woman by Cliff Richard
– Goddamn Devil by Ugly Kid Joe (Ha! Remember them? I’d forgotten about this song…)
– Grab The Devil By The Horns & Fuck Him Up The Ass by Sum 41 (it’s a title that I had to include)
Now it’s time to go to HELL… Here are My Top Ten Hell Songs:
10. TIE: Hell by Squirrel Nut Zippers & Hell by Foo Fighters 9. Catch Hell Blues by The White Stripes 8. Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf 7. Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd 6. Green Hell by Misfits
5. Cowboys From Hell by Pantera
4. Straight To Hell by The Clash
3. Hell Bent For Leather by Judas Priest
2. Heaven And Hell by Black Sabbath
1. Highway To Hell by AC/DC (and Hells Bells, too!)
Honorable Hell Mentions:
– Go To Hell by Megadeth
– Hell Hole by Spinal Tap
– The Hell Song & Welcome To Hell by Sum 41 (what’s with them and Hell & Devil songs??)
Also, an honorable mention in general to Tenacious D’s Tribute since it’s about the Devil. Plus, Dave Grohl is the coolest Satan ever.
And there’s one on this list that I only heard for the first time yesterday but I thought it was pretty damn good considering it’s folk! It went straight into my top ten so thanks to my husband for suggesting I listen to Devil’s Spoke by Laura Marling. Here’s the video: