I figured I should do a post for either my 6 month blogging anniversary or when I hit 10,000 views but they happened close to the same time. I’m up to 10,771 views as of today since starting this blog on the 25th of November 2012. I have no clue if this is a high or low number after six months but I’m happy about it anyway. I seriously didn’t think anyone would ever look at this thing. 🙂
I’ve always loved movies but have met very few “real life” people who share that passion (other than my hubby!). So I started this (secret) blog thinking maybe I’d find a few other movie lovers to chat with & was shocked to find that there are SO many of you totally awesome movie geeks! Seriously – you people watch way more movies than I do. 🙂
To celebrate my six months of blogging (this is probably the longest I’ve ever kept going with a hobby!), I figured I’d post links to some of my favorite past posts.
– My First Movie Review: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I didn’t say a lot but I think I need to find a balance between this and my more recent reviews which I think have become way too wordy! Perks was one of my favorite movies of the past few years and I decided to also read the book after seeing the movie. Book review HERE.
– One of my favorites that I’ve seen in the cinema this year: Robot & Frank. One thing I like about writing these reviews (although I really struggle with them sometimes as I’m certainly no “writer”) is that it makes me think more about the film as I write about it. Quite often the movies go down in my estimation but sometimes I end up liking them even more after I write about them. This happened with Robot & Frank – I realized just how brilliant the film really was while I typed out my thoughts. Another film like this was Beginners.
– The review I had the most fun writing: Monkey Shines. Ha! This movie is a bit mental. I try to keep “spoiler free” with all my reviews but with this one I just HAD to go through the whole thing scene by scene. My review makes the movie sound sort of awesome. It’s not. Lol. Also had fun reviewing Project X, which totally ripped off far superior 80s teen movies.
– The movie that was the biggest “pleasant surprise”: Tucker And Dale Vs Evil. Wasn’t expecting to enjoy that one so much! The same goes for Warm Bodies and, oddly, Sleuth. I keep moving Sleuth up higher & higher in my list of All The Movies I’ve Watched In 2013 – it’s one of those that’s really stuck with me for some reason.
– My Most Popular Reviews: Star Trek Into Darkness and three reviews for Star Trek: The Motion Picture & The Wrath Of Khan & Star Trek (2009)
MY IMDB TOP 250 CHALLENGE
I started my IMDB Top 250 Challenge on the 1st of January. I’m hoping to watch all of the top 250 movies at IMDB (eventually!). I’d already seen 150 as of the 1st of January and I’ve watched 16 more so far this year. Links to all my Top 250 reviews are at the bottom of the page at the above link but I’ll include the links for my favorites here:
– The Secret In Their Eyes – Excellent foreign film. I highly recommend this.
– Princess Mononoke – Working my way through the Studio Ghibli stuff. This is the first one to make me truly appreciate Studio Ghibli and I now desperately want to watch all the rest that I haven’t seen.
– Alfred Hitchcock’s Rope – I’ve now watched all the Hitchcock films in the Top 250 (there are a lot because Hitchcock was a genius). I’m always surprised to see this review still getting views – seems to be a popular slightly underrated Hitchcock classic.
– Charlie Chaplin. Okay – Charlie Chaplin is my favorite “new discovery” this year. I’m so glad that I’ve FINALLY made a start on watching his films. They’re absolutely brilliant. Here’s a link to a post about him on his birthday, which includes links to my reviews of Modern Times, City Lights & The Kid: Happy Birthday To Charlie Chaplin.
Like the character of Rob in High Fidelity, I’m a bit obsessed with making Top Five Lists (or Top Ten, depending on my mood). Here are a few of my lists:
– My Top Ten Shower & Bath Scenes In Movies. I decided to make this list after seeing JUST how many views my blog got after I casually mentioned Amber Heard’s shower scene in my review for The Ward. This list worked. People search for various combinations of the word “shower” and end up on my blog EVERY SINGLE DAY. Pervs. 🙂
– My Top Ten Movie Endings. Loved making this list. There are WAY too many to choose from and I have lots of honorable mentions. Plus I keep having to go back & add to the list as I watch more films. I should probably add The Wrath Of Khan as an honorable mention as well, come to think of it.
– My Top Ten Foreign Language Films
– My Top Animated Disney Films
– My Top Five Movies About Love
– My Top Ten John Hughes Movies
– My Top Ten Stephen King Movies
– My Top Five Beatles Songs
– My Top Ten David Bowie Songs. Because I’m a little obsessed with David Bowie.
MY TOP POSTS
– Ten Things I Like About England. My most liked post ever. And it has NOTHING to do with movies. Maybe I shouldn’t be running a movie blog?! Lol
– What Kind Of Film Would YOU Make?. By far the biggest response I’ve ever had to a post. Looks like we all would love to be filmmakers.
(I felt like there should be a Star Wars picture in here somewhere)
Phew. That took a while. Sorry if that was too long, too wordy, too boring. But it was fun looking back through the past six months of this blog and seeing how much it’s grown. I’m really glad I decided to start it and am really happy to have met such great people here. I love all the discussions we’ve had and I look forward to the next six months. I’ll leave you with an underwear picture as it seems I’ve become known for posting pictures of half-naked people a bit too often lately.
Were you actually expecting a girl? 🙂